Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-Failed referendum on Indigenous rights sets back Australian government plans to become a republic -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Failed referendum on Indigenous rights sets back Australian government plans to become a republic
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 16:31:50
CANBERRA,Oliver James Montgomery Australia (AP) — Australia’s failed referendum on the Indigenous Voice has set back the government’s plans to cut the nation’s constitutional ties to Britain’s King Charles III, a minister said Thursday.
Australians last week overwhelmingly rejected the referendum that would have enshrined in the constitution an Indigenous advisory body to Parliament.
The loss reduced the chances of another referendum soon to make the country a republic with an Australian president as head of state instead of the British monarch, Assistant Minister for the Republic Matt Thistlethwaite said.
“In my view, it’s not off, but it does certainly make it a lot harder,” Thistlethwaite told Sky News Australia.
“Australians are reluctant to look at further referendums in the short term,” he added.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese made the Voice referendum a top priority for his center-left Labor Party government’s first three-year term when it was elected last year.
Albanese placed Thistlethwaite in charge of paving the way toward a republic and left open the prospect of a referendum being held in a second term if Labor wins the 2025 election.
Queen Elizabeth II’s death last year at the age of 96 was widely seen as increasing Australians’ mood for constitutional change to a republic.
The Voice referendum was Australia’s first in a generation. Australians rejected an Australian republic at their last referendum in 1999. No referendum has succeeded since 1977.
The weekend referendum result had also triggered a backlash against Indigenous rights in two states where the “no” vote was strongest.
In Queensland where opposition to the Voice was strongest, the state opposition party on Wednesday reneged on a commitment to support negotiating a treaty between the state and Indigenous residents.
Opposition leader David Crisafulli explained he had hoped that a treaty would lead to better outcomes for the Indigenous population.
But the referendum convinced him that a treaty would create further division.
“Sadly, over the past six months Australia and Queensland have been subject to one of the most divisive debates in my life,” Crisafulli said in a statement, referring to the referendum campaign.
South Australia had the second strongest “no” vote and next year will become Australia’s first state to introduce a state-based Indigenous Voice.
Lawmaker Sarah Game, who represents the minor One Nation party, introduced a bill to the state legislature this week that would repeal the legislation that created the state Voice.
“I think it’s the right thing to do: an acknowledgement of the way in which Australians and in particular South Australians have voted,” Game told reporters.
“We want a commitment to those who are disadvantaged, but we don’t want it in a way that causes a divide on race and ancestry,” Game added.
___
Follow AP’s Asia-Pacific coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/asia-pacific
veryGood! (117)
Related
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Chants of ‘shame on you’ greet guests at White House correspondents’ dinner shadowed by war in Gaza
- Some Americans filed free with IRS Direct File pilot in 2024, but not everyone's a fan
- She called 911 to report abuse then disappeared: 5 months later her family's still searching
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Washington mom charged with murder, accused of stabbing son repeatedly pleads not guilty
- Teen accidentally kills his younger brother with a gun found in an alley
- Winnipeg Jets defenseman Brenden Dillon suffers gash on hand during end-of-game scrum
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- 24 years ago, an officer was dispatched to an abandoned baby. Decades later, he finally learned that baby's surprising identity.
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Pro-Palestinian protests embroil U.S. colleges amid legal maneuvering, civil rights claims
- Vampire facials at an unlicensed spa infected three people with HIV, CDC finds
- Oregon’s Sports Bra, a pub for women’s sports fans, plans national expansion as interest booms
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- NFL draft order Saturday: Who drafts when for Rounds 4 through 7 of 2024 NFL draft
- Pasteurization working to kill bird flu in milk, early FDA results find
- See inside Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow's former New York townhouse that just went on sale
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
NFL draft's best undrafted free agents: Who are top 10 players available?
Prom night flashback: See your fave celebrities in dresses, suits before they were famous
Oregon’s Sports Bra, a pub for women’s sports fans, plans national expansion as interest booms
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Arrest warrant issued for man in fatal shooting of off-duty Chicago police officer
Some Americans filed free with IRS Direct File pilot in 2024, but not everyone's a fan
'Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F': New promo released of Eddie Murphy movie starring NFL's Jared Goff